Update 2011-08-13: I switched to a custom apt-get wrapper so that I can keep a versioned list of installed packages and generally because I have NIH. (I had no problems with etckeeper). My apt-get wrapper is on here on github
$ sudo apt-get install etckeeper
/etc/etckeeper/etckeeper.conf. Change VCS from "bzr" to "git"
- Initialize etckeeper and git repo
$ cd /etc $ sudo etckeeper init $ sudo git status $ sudo git commit -m 'Initial commit'
- git worktree notes — posted 2017-05-27
- Converting an hg repository to git — posted 2014-12-03
- Git submodule notes — posted 2013-03-07
- Example using git bisect to narrow in on a commit — posted 2011-08-13
- git notes — posted 2011-08-11
- Colorized, interactive "git blame" in Emacs: vc-annotate — posted 2011-05-28