I'm Eliot and I work as a Web Developer in Los Angeles, California. I'm a programmer, Asian American, father, husband, and Christian in reverse order of importance. My friend, Bill, coined the name, Salty Crane, as a code for my name. I try to be salty, but most of the time I'm sour instead. I have a BS and MS in Mechanical Engineering and had planned to pursue a career in Robotics. Instead, I switched to software in 2003. I worked with C and embedded software for several years then made a bigger jump to web development in 2008. I enjoy programming and try to continually learn as much as possible. In my spare time, I like to play sports, do outdoor activities, and spend time with my wife and kids.
- Switching from Emacs to Vim (actually Spacemacs) (posted 2015-12-31)
- Switching to OS X and front end development (posted 2015-09-10)
- SaltyCrane Blog: this blog.
- Website: http://www.saltycrane.com/blog/
- Live Log Analyzer: store remote log files to mongoDB and report statistics in real time.
- Slides: http://www.saltycrane.com/lla/
- Code: http://github.com/saltycrane/live-log-analyzer
- Live demo: [shutdown]
- Supafu: Tag Twitterers with a Tweet.
- Website: [shutdown]
- Review: "easiest way to tag and find interesting twitterers"
- HandsOnCards: A note card and greeting card store by my wife and me.
- Website: [shutdown] archived
- React Learning: tutorials and experiments with React.
- Kage: yet another task manager built with Firebase, Next.js, React, Redux, styled-components, Reactstrap (Bootstrap 4 alpha), Flow, and Prettier.
- Website: https://kage.saltycrane.com
- Code: http://github.com/saltycrane/kage
About this site
This site is built on Linode, Amazon S3, Ubuntu, PostgreSQL, Gunicorn, Nginx, Python, Django, Pygments, Bootstrap, and edited with Emacs. See my blogproject tag for more information.