I have Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibson (Gnome) and installed the
emacs22 package. Copy and paste did not work from Emacs to the Firefox search box and from the Firefox location box to Emacs. I did get it working after a little Google searching. But it made me think back to Tim Bray's comments in Back to the Mac regarding the importance of a simple thing like copy and paste.
Here is the fix, which worked like a charm. I got this from the Ubuntu forums. Put the following two lines in your .emacs file.
(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t) (setq interprogram-paste-function 'x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value)
- Switching from Emacs to Vim (actually Spacemacs) — posted 2015-12-31
- Colorized, interactive "git blame" in Emacs: vc-annotate — posted 2011-05-28
- My Emacs Python environment — posted 2010-05-10
- Emacs espresso-mode for jQuery — posted 2010-03-10
- Notes on C++ development with Emacs on Ubuntu Linux — posted 2009-07-08
- Creating remote server nicknames with .ssh/config — posted 2008-11-20
Very nice tip, thanks for that
Thanx, indeed works like a charm!
I also want to thank you, that is very useful and works great with Emacs 23 on Ubuntu 10.04.
Awesome - lifesaver for Emacs 23 and Ubunuto 10.10. Thanks!
Man, you cool! Unworking clipboard was a headache.