- Trying to access filesystem on Ubuntu Hardy Linux server from Windows Vista PC over the internet. Want to have read and write access.
- Ubuntu Linux server IP address is: 184.108.40.206
- Windows PC IP address is: 220.127.116.11
- Username is "johnny"
On Ubuntu Hardy host
- Install Samba
apt-get install samba
hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 18.104.22.168 hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
Create a new share:
[myshare] comment = this is my share path = /var/www read only = no guest ok = no delete readonly = yes create mask = 0644 force create mode = 0600 security mask = 0555 force security mode = 0600
- Create a user
adduser johnny smbpasswd -a johnny
Enter a password.
- Open ports in EC2 Security Group using ElasticFox
Port 135/TCP - used by smbd Port 137/UDP - used by nmbd Port 138/UDP - used by nmbd Port 139/TCP - used by smbd Port 445/TCP - used by smbd
On Windows host
- In Windows Explorer, enter
\\22.214.171.124\myshareinto the location bar.
- Enter the "johnny" for the username and the password for the password.