Here is how I set up my new work PC with Xubuntu, wmii, and conkeror using the wubi windows installer and my home mercurial repository of dot files. Notes:
ti is a python script I use to interface with the remote machine that holds my mercurial repositories. I also have another python script which concatenates my configuration files in
~/etc with my local machine-specific configuration files in
~/local/localmachine/etc and puts them in my home directory.
crayola is my home machine.
cotton is my new work machine. (Actually I haven't changed the name yet.)
- I used the wubi installer to install Xubuntu as part of the Windows filesystem.
- I restarted the computer and selected to boot into Xubuntu. (I actually had to restart twice because the first time it was configuring stuff.)
- I ran the Update Manager.
- I installed Mercurial:
$ sudo apt-get install mercurial
- I cloned my home directory repository and set it up:
$ cd /home $ sudo mv sofeng sofeng-old $ sudo hg clone ssh://firstname.lastname@example.org//home/sofeng $ sudo mkdir -p ~/local/cotton/etc $ sudo mkdir -p ~/local/cotton/bin $ sudo chown -R sofeng:sofeng /home/sofeng $ cp ~/local/crayola/etc/.* ~/local/cotton/etc $ . ~/.bashrc
- I installed some stuff:
$ sudo apt-get install wmii $ sudo apt-get install rxvt-unicode $ sudo apt-get install emacs-snapshot $ sudo apt-get install lastfm $ sudo apt-get install conky
- I logged out of Xfce and logged into wmii. Mod4+Enter to get a
- I cloned my conkeror repository:
$ cd ~/lib $ ti clone conk