I'm Eliot and I work as a Python Web Developer in Southern California. I'm a wannabe computer programmer / geek, Asian American, husband, and Christian in reverse order of importance. My friend, Bill, coined the name, Salty Crane, as a code for my name. I try to be salty, but most of the time I'm sour instead. I have a BS and MS in Mechanical Engineering and had planned to pursue a career in Robotics. Instead, I switched to software in 2003. I worked with C and embedded software for several years then made a bigger jump to web development in 2008. I enjoy programming and try to continually learn as much as possible. In my spare time, I like to play sports, do outdoor activities, and spend time with my wife.
Skills (as of 2010)
- Python (5 yrs): Developed a log analysis tool, production deployment scripts, a comment aggregation web backend.
- Django (1 yr): Developed a custom blog application, an online store using Satchmo, and a Twitter web application.
- C (7 yrs): Developed real-time embedded software and simulation software.
- Perl (3 yrs): Developed a distributed simulation run management tool and a web code browsing tool.
- Unix/Linux (4 yrs): Administered production Ubuntu web servers on EC2. Run Ubuntu exclusively at home. Developed on Solaris for 2 yrs. Tools: ssh, rsync, cron, screen, grep, find, bash, svn, hg, git
- Nginx/Apache (1 yr): Configured Nginx caching proxy. Administered Nginx and Apache production servers.
- MySQL: Created a database with several million rows via Django ORM. Administered a production database.
- Twisted, Fabric, supervisord, MongoDB, Redis, and beanstalkd: used as a part of various projects.
- Live Log Analyzer (open source code): store remote log files to
mongoDB and report statistics
in real time.
Live demo: (shutdown)
- Supafu (website shutdown): Tag Twitterers with a Tweet.
Review: "easiest way to tag and find interesting twitterers"
- HandsOnCards (website shutdown): A note card and greeting card store by my wife and me
- SaltyCrane Blog (website): This blog
About this site
About comments on this site
Comments are filtered using Akismet. If your comment does not show up, send me an email. (Sometimes Akismet is overzealous.) I remove comments I consider spam that get past Akismet. (Sometimes Akismet is under zealous.) I try not to edit any comments except for formatting (though I prefer not to). Thanks for your comments!